10/4/11

Ice Cube Trays and Other Frustrations

Disclaimer: contrary to the title, I don’t have anything against ice cube trays, per se. I also don’t know if I will get to any “other frustrations” in this blog, as the list of my frustrations tends to be quite long these days. Just saying.

Everyone knows (whether they do it or not is another matter) that after you empty out the ice cube trays of ice, you need to refill them with water and put them back into the freezer. This way, we get delightful fresh ice again. My burning question is: why is it that after emptying the ice cube trays and refilling them I can never, never, NEVER get them back into the freezer without dumping out 60% (give or take) of the water onto my kitchen floor and then dribbling another 20% (again, give or take) of the water all over the freezer? And in this rather anti-process the water that gleefully spills out of the ice cube trays (rebellious water that apparently has something against being made into ice cubes) generally covers the bag of frozen peas or corn in a fine layer of ice.

Honestly, really, and truly I am so damn careful carrying those trays back to the freezer. Additionally, I have a seriously small ass kitchen! It's not like I have to walk the Sahara from the sink to the fridge. There are no booby traps on my kitchen floor. I don’t have to cross a bridge made of sticks and chewing gum to get from the sink to the fridge. From the kitchen sink to my freezer is maybe two steps. God only knows (and maybe even She doesn't know) what will happen the day I do manage to live or even own a place that has a big kitchen. I probably won't even get 5% of the water left in the tray. My ice cubes will be paper thin. Then again, if I have the money for a kitchen bigger than the size of a small walk-in closet, maybe I'll be able to afford a fridge with an ice maker. Hey, a girl can dream.

Is this why men notoriously don’t refill the ice cube trays? Because they know it is not possible to get these suckers back into the freezer with the necessary water? Crap. Am I the only one who didn’t know it wasn’t possible?

Everyone talks about the great conspiracies of the world:
-          Toys that require batteries to run, mysteriously fail to come with the necessary batteries.
-          Hot dogs come in packages of 8, whereas hot dog buns come in packages of 10.
-          A pair of socks go into the dryer, but only one comes out. By the way, there are many theories on this: Sock Demons who love to eat just one (2 are just too filling); the Laundry Gods always demand a sacrifice; sock makers worked out a deal with the manufacturers of driers who came up with a device that is installed in all driers, which sucks out one sock per load of laundry. This keeps the sock makers in the bucks. And of course, my favorite theory, which is that socks by nature are highly competitive and they hate their twin. Let’s face it, wouldn’t you grow to hate someone that was balled up in a drawer with you most of the time? So…they both go into the drier, have a major fight (tee shirts and underwear take sides, place bets on who they think will be the winner so they aren’t any help), and after a bloody battle one of them finally kills and eats the other. The entire laundry load is in on it.
-          And other great conspiracies, blah blah.

What’s missing from this list, folks? That’s right. The Refilling the Ice Cube Tray conspiracy. NO one is talking. What do we have to fear? Is my life in danger right now because I have dared to bring this shameful secret to light? Balls to that! I’m talking.

If you’re wondering if I’ve gone off the deep-end, you’re not alone; however, that isn’t the point. The point is that this is genuinely if not a conspiracy, a mystery. Either ice cube trays do not want to be refilled or water does not wish to be made into ice cubes. I know this to be a fact because I have conducted experiments. Yeah, I know. Sad really. Doesn’t she have anything better to do with her time? No. I really don’t.

I have placed empty trays in the freezer and tried to pour water into them from a glass. This didn’t work, either. The trays would not accept the water and the water ended up all over the freezer. Everywhere in fact EXCEPT the ice cube tray. Coincidence? I think not.

I just realized something. Maybe the problem isn’t the trays or the water. Maybe it’s the freezer. Wow. This entire time, I was sure it was one of these two. I had practically convicted one or both of them at any given moment…and all along it may have been the freezer, sitting in the corner of my kitchen: tall, silent, and…cold. Holy crap.

Nothing has been decided, yet. Of course, there are further experiments to be made. I’ll keep at it and keep you informed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment